Content Type: Gaming News
Date: February 9, 2023
Whether to play 3rd person action games using a controller or mouse and keyboard is generally a matter of personal preference — but every game is different. Some titles are clearly meant for controllers, while other games are more flexible in terms of the “best” option. Hogwarts Legacy falls more into the latter category; there are pros and cons to both options, but it will ultimately come down to what’s more comfortable for you. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of using mouse and keyboard vs controller in Hogwarts Legacy.
The biggest advantage of the controller is that all the buttons are literally at your fingertips — no awkward wrist angles required. It’s also generally considered a more comfortable option. The big downsides of the controller are that it takes two buttons to cast spells, and the fact that the menus use a cursor.
Advantages of using a controller:
- Haptic feedback
- Easier access to the most commonly used buttons (besides spells)
- Flight controls are easier to use
- Generally better for your hands, ergonomically speaking
Disadvantages of using a controller:
- Can be difficult to target specific enemies in a crowded fight
- Navigating menus with a cursor is a pain
- You have to hold and then press a face button to cast a spell
- You cannot instantly access the inventory menu
- It can run out of batteries
Mouse & Keyboard
The mouse and keyboard’s main advantage over the controller is that casting spells (which is a big part of the game) requires one button press rather than two. Its primary weakness is that there are more inputs than there are easily-pressed buttons — this can be mitigated in large part by rebinding some commonly used inputs to side mouse buttons.
Advantages of using mouse & keyboard:
- Navigating menus is easier
- You can access the inventory menu with one button press
- Aiming at specific targets in combat is easier
- Casting spells requires only one button press
Disadvantages of using mouse & keyboard:
- No haptic feedback
- Flight controls are harder to use
- Can be difficult to press all of the commonly-used inputs
- You can’t lean back in your chair or play on your couch
- Carpal tunnel
So Which Should I Pick?
If you’re here, it’s probably because you have both options available to you. Therefore, your best bet is to try both options for yourself and see what feels better. If you’re trying to decide if you should buy a controller to play Hogwarts Legacy, then it really comes down to how much you care about ergonomics and haptic feedback — the game is plenty playable on mouse and keyboard.
Honestly I’m pleasantly surprised at how well the game plays with a kb/m. Being that it’s a third person game that’s a console port I had really low expectations but it’s been just fine imo!