Content Type: Gaming Guides
The Hippogriff Marks the Spot is an optional quest in Hogwarts Legacy. While exploring, you notice an important-looking parchment just outside Poidsear Castle. It turns out the parchment has a set of clues showing a location and a puzzle. Will you look into it further?
- Quest Type: Side Quest
- Location: Poidsear Castle, World Map (map)
- Complete Tomes and Tribulations
- 180 XP
- Treasure-Seeker’s Gloves appearance
If you want to save some time, you can do this quest, Rescuing Rococo, and Solved By the Bell at the same time. They both mainly take place in the same area, and even share some steps to progress.
Grabbing the Map
The quest The Hippogriff Marks the Spot will automatically start the first time you go to Poidsear Castle, which is in Poidsear Coast. If you have never been to Poidsear Coast before (the southeast corner of the World Map), it can be tricky even reaching the area. Luckily, we have a How to Get to Poidsear Coast guide to help you get there! From the North Poidsear Coast Floo Flame (where you will be after reaching Poidsear Coast for the first time), get on your broom and fly southeast until you reach Poidsear Castle.
Once you reach the castle, you will need to grab the map. It will be west of the Floo Flame here, just outside the castle itself. This area will be heavily fortified by level 20 Poachers, however, you can either choose to take them out, or sneak by them. If you choose to sneak by with Disillusionment, you can get to the map fairly easily by walking behind the tents on the west side of the area.
The map itself will be on the west side of the area, inside an open tent — it will be on the left side of it, on top of a table. Once you pick it up you will see a clue for the location of a treasure, as well as a hint for a puzzle.
Find Henrietta’s Hideaway
Neither the World Map nor minimap will help you find Henrietta’s Hideaway, and despite what your character seems to think, it is very far away from the camp where you found the map. Get on your broom and take a long flight south, and eventually you will reach a small beach area with a ruined building atop a hill. The entrance to the hideaway will be on the southeastern side of the hill. Land in front of the entrance to avoid any enemies, then enter Henrietta’s Hideaway.
Solve the First Puzzle
If you completed Rescuing Rococo or Solved By the Bell, this puzzle will already be solved, and you can skip to the next section of the guide!
When you enter the hideaway, you will see two platforms in front of you, with the one on the right having a block on top.
- Turn left to see a statue with a torch, and cast Incendio to light it (image 1) — this will reveal a block.
- Grab the block with Wingardium Leviosa and take it over to the platform that didn’t have a block (image 2).
- One block/platform will have a fire symbol on it, while the other pair will have an ice symbol. Cast Incendio on the pair with the fire symbol, and Glacius on the other (image 3), and a doorway will open to the next area.
Solve the Second Puzzle
Before you can even solve the next puzzle, you will need to clear the room of Ashwinders (unless you had completed Rescuing Rococo and/or Solved By the Bell beforehand, then they will not respawn and the room will be empty). They are mostly level 19, with some level 25’s as well, and can be deadly due to their large numbers. Keep in mind that the Executioners are immune to spells that move them around, like Accio, and try to take out the Ranger in the back of the room quickly. Take advantage of your Ancient Magic when you can, and use your most powerful spells to bring down their numbers quickly.
- Once the Ashwinders are taken care of, you will see a large Hippogriff statue in the middle of the room, which is surrounded by 8 torches. You will need to have only specific torches lit up in order to solve the puzzle.
- With the torch behind the Hippogriff being #1 (see images below), you will need to have torches 1, 3, 4, and 7 lit.
- If any others are lit, cast Glacius on them (target them with / to avoid cooling off the wrong torch).
Once the puzzle is solved, a doorway will open behind the Hippogriff, revealing the treasure.
Grab the Treasure
Now that the puzzle is solved, go to the newly revealed chest, and open it to obtain the Treasure-Seeker’s Gloves appearance and 400.
This will complete The Hippogriff Marks the Spot, and you will be free to leave the hideaway and continue your adventures!