Content Type: Gaming Guides
Flying a broom is one of the most exciting aspects of Hogwarts Legacy, partially because of how large the in-game map is but mostly because it feels very cool to fly around on one. However, there’s a lot to consider when it comes to flying brooms and the game doesn’t explain everything super-clearly.
How to Unlock Brooms
You don’t start the game with the ability to fly on a broom, instead you have to progress through the main quest until you reach the Flying Class. Completing that quest will give you the ability to purchase a broom from Spintwitch’s Sporting Needs shop in Hogsmeade. To read more about the specifics of unlocking brooms, you can check out our How to Unlock Flying Brooms guide.
How to Summon the Broom
Luckily you don’t have to lug around a broom everywhere to get the sweet benefits of one, instead you can summon it at anytime through the tool wheel. Simply hold down / to open the tool wheel, and press / to summon your broom. If you own multiple brooms, you can change them at anytime in the gear page.
Keep in mind that anytime you see a flying bird crossed out above the tool wheel icon, that means you cannot fly in that area. Some places that don’t allow flying include the interior of Hogwarts and the town of Hogsmeade.
Now that you have it summoned, these are the controls for flying in Hogwarts Legacy:
- To move in any direction
- For a Burst of Speed
- Hold For Flight Speed
- Toggle for Flight Speed
- / Dismount
How to Upgrade the Broom
Much like your character, brooms do not remain stagnant in there abilities throughout the game. You can upgrade your broom at the Spintwitch’s Sporting Needs shop after completing a series of time trial quests, starting with Flight Test. Upgrading your broom at the shop after completing Flight Test will set you back 1000 galleons, but reward you with a speedier broom. Later on you will come across more opportunities to upgrade your broom.
In total, there are three time trial quests that you can do to upgrade your broom.
- Broom Upgrade 1: Unlocked from the side quest Flight Test and costs 1000 galleons.
- Broom Upgrade 2: Unlocked from the side quest Sweeping the Competition and costs 4000 galleons.
- Broom Upgrade 3: Unlocked from the side quest The Sky is the Limit and costs 7500 galleons.
Tips for Broom Flying
Here are some general tips for flying as you explore the Scottish Highlands in Hogwarts Legacy.
- The lower to the ground you are, the longer your Burst of Speed meter will last. When you are directly above the ground, the meter will last indefinitely. Flying higher does not always mean it will be faster to get there.
- Pressing down on will toggle between the two base flight speeds, meaning you don’t have to hold down
- Unfortunately, there is no way to aim the camera up and down while you are flying!
- Pressing the dismount button will automatically lower you to the ground, you don’t have to worry about doing it manually.
You should now be ready to fly anywhere in Hogwarts Legacy, except the no-fly zones of course. Have any questions or concerns about the guide? Leave them in the comments below and we’ll get back to you!