Content Type: Gaming Guides
In Hogwarts Legacy, you will encounter many powerful items throughout your adventure, however, none will be as powerful as the Legendary Gear. Those will be the items that will allow you to create the most powerful builds and are the rarest out of all available equipment that you can discover. In this guide, we will introduce you to Legendary Gear, how it works, where you can attain it, and a few tips & tricks about how you can acquire it more efficiently!
What is the Legendary Gear
As a reminder, in Hogwarts Legacy all Gear is categorized based on its rarity, with Legendary Gear being the rarest type — easily distinguished by its unique orange color title and card theme.
Legendary items are the most powerful items that you can encounter in the game, allowing you to amend your build with Tier III Traits! (More on that below.) They are especially hard to find and often come with the most beneficial stats, even prior to any upgrade.
Legendary Gear Traits
Legendary Gear will allow you to equip the most powerful of the Traits — those in Tier III. These traits are so powerful that they can make a fight that you previously might have found almost impossible to win become a walk in the park.
- Hogwarts Legacy offers a massive variety of 75 different Traits to choose from.
- However, a piece of Gear will be able to hold only one Trait at a time!
- You can freely swap the Traits of an item whenever you want, provided you have the required materials.
However, in order to add Traits to a Legendary Gear Piece, you will need to unlock the Enchanted Loom in the Room of Requirement — check out our dedicated guides for more details, including How to Upgrade Gear.
Legendary Gear Static Level
As you have probably noticed, you can find Legendary Gear very early in the game. However, this will mean that the level of the item will be locked to the level you had when you discovered the item. This will mean that Legendary Gear that you discover early in the game might end up being quickly surpassed by Superb and Extraordinary Gear.
- Do not be afraid to sell or replace any Legendary Gear pieces you discover very early in the game: they will be outpaced by other items very quickly.
- There are ways you can ensure you get a valuable Legendary Gear piece when you know what you are looking for — more on that later in the guide.
Where to find Legendary Gear (Location)
As we mentioned previously, what truly makes Legendary Gear special is its rarity. Thankfully, in Hogwarts Legacy, there are plenty of ways to attain very powerful Legendary Gear pieces that will aid you in achieving your full wizarding potential.
The first time you will see some Legendary Gear will be your first visit to Hogsmeade, in the Gladrags Wizardwear shop. Here you will quickly notice that the shopkeeper will have a large array of Legendary Items in his inventory.
A few important details about the Gladrags Wizardwear Shop:
- The Legendary Gear that will be available here can also be found in Chests.
- The items will be completely randomized based on your playthrough, meaning that no two playthroughs will have the exact same type of gear available at the same time.
- It is worth preserving these Legendary Items for when you reach a higher level, as the items themselves will lock in on the level that you purchased them at!
Chests (Random & Special Ornate Chests)
While you will find many chests on your adventures in Hogwarts Castle and its outskirts, Legendary Gear can only be found inside two of their types.
- Firstly, you can find Legendary Gear inside Big Chests scattered around the map. However, those chests usually have a random drop chance for a Legendary Item, meaning that finding one is not guaranteed.
- If you want some guaranteed Legendary Gear drops, you will be after the Ornate Chests. These will always get you a random guaranteed Legendary Gear piece.
Here are some of the Ornate Chest locations we found:
- One Ornate Chest can be found fairly early into the game, hidden behind one of the houses in Hogsmeade — shown in the images above!
- You will also be able to find another Ornate Chest in the Greenhouse inside Hogwarts Castle.
- You can find another Ornate Chest in a Hedgerow Maze on the outskirts of Hogwarts.
Legendary Gear Saving Trick
Once you found an Ornate Chest, there is a way to re-roll the type of Gear you will find inside.
To do so, manually save the game before opening the chest! This will allow you to reload your save, which will result in a different Legendary Gear piece being generated with each attempt. Since the Ornate Chests do not pull from any kind of a unique set, you can do this as many times as you want until you get a specific Legendary Gear piece you want!
Keep in mind that, once you open the chest and pick up the item, its level will be locked. Feel free to note the location of the Ornate Chest on the map instead and, once you have an idea for what you might want, come back to loot the chest using the trick.
Now that you know precisely how Legendary Gear works, we hope that you will manage to discover as many as possible and create some powerful builds. Let us know if you have found more Ornate Chests and share your favorite Legendary Gear pieces with us in the comments down below!
Ur good wishes on these guides are so precious. Keep doing what youre doing nevermore, thanks for good info. also wishing you all the best legendary gear finds!
Question, are the legendary gear pieces in the game limited? If I find and open all the ornate chests and buy the legendary gear pieces from the shopkeeper before level 40, will I be able to obtain level 40 legendary gear somewhere?
It’s not limited, most chests have a chance to drop legendary gear.
The shop at Gladrags wizardwear also resets 3 in-game days (Changing the time of day 6 times) ☺️