Content Type: Gaming Guides
Along with spells and gear, Talents will be one of the main ways your character can become stronger in Hogwarts Legacy. These upgrades to your character also allow you to specialize in certain aspects of gameplay, whether it be stealth, tools, or combat effectiveness. In this guide, we’ll take a look at how Talents work, and go over all of the categories available.
How to Unlock Talents
Talents in Hogwarts Legacy will not unlock simply when you reach a certain level, so you can’t just roam around killing monsters to grind it out. Instead, you will need to complete an early line of missions in the Golden Path (Main Story) to unlock Talents. More specifically, you will need to finish the Jackdaw’s Rest quest to gain the access to the Talent Tree.
We have more information on this in our How to Unlock Talents guide.
How Talents Work
Defeating enemies, completing quests, and finding collectibles in Hogwarts Legacy will earn you experience. This in turn allows you to level up — leveling up will grant you Talent Points that you can then spend in the talent pages. These pages offer different bonuses and benefits, and are organized into specific categories. There are a few key things to keep in mind when picking talents:
- There does not appear to be an option to respec, so you’ll need to choose wisely.
- You will apparently only have 36 talent points at max level — there are 48 total Talents to choose from.
- Talents are gated by level, with new tiers of Talents becoming available once your character reaches the requisite level.
There are 5 Talent Trees in Hogwarts Legacy: Stealth, Room of Requirement, Core, Spells, and Dark Arts. You will see all of them listed below.
You can see the best visualization of it in our Hogwarts Legacy Talent Calculator. It’s also very useful for planning out your character builds!
4 Available Talents
Learning the Disillusionment charm will allow your character to move stealthily, avoiding detection and sneaking up on enemies. Talents in this tree improve your ability to sneak up on enemies, and eventually improve your Petrificus Totalus spell as well.
- Sense of Secrecy I: Enemies’ ability to detect you is reduced.
- Human Demiguise: Allows you to Sprint while using Disillusionment.
- Sense of Secrecy II: Enemies’ ability to detect you is reduced.
- Petrificus Totalus Mastery: Petrificus Totalus emanates an area of effect that can impact nearby enemies.
Room of Requirement
8 Available Talents
The Room of Requirement is where you’ll grow Plants and brew Potions, where you upgrade Gear, and where you raise the Magical Creatures you rescue. The 8 talents in this tree all strengthen your Tools, making your Potions and Plants more effective.
- Edurus Potion Potency: Edurus Potion makes you invulnerable and deflects projectile attacks back to enemies.
- Fertilizer: For each Chinese Chomping Cabbage thrown, a second Chomping Cabbage is generated and released at no cost.
- Invisibility Potion Potency: The Invisibility Potion’s undetectable effect lasts for a longer period of time.
- Headache: The damage and duration of the incapacitating effect of Mandrakes are increased.
- Maxima Potion Potency: Maxima Potion causes attacks to have additional increased damage and break enemy shields.
- Thunderbrew Potency: The range and damage of the potion effect are greatly increased.
- Noxious: Venomous Tentacula attacks deal additional damage and break shields.
- Focus Potion Potency: The duration of the Focus Potion’s effect will be extended when any spell from the Spell Set is cast during it’s use.
16 Available Talents
These talents improve your overall effectiveness. Improvements to Essential spells, Wiggenweld potions, and general combat strength are what you’ll find in this tree.
- Ancient Magic Throw Expertise: Ancient Magic Throw catches and throws disarmed enemy weapons.
- Spell Knowledge I: A new Spell Set is added. Hold R2/RT and tap one of your directional keys/arrows to swap to an unlocked Spell Set.
- Basic Cast Mastery: Basic Cast impacts reduce spell cooldowns.
- Protego Absorption: Successful Protego blocks will contribute to the Ancient Magic Meter. Perfect Protego blocks contribute even more.
- Swift: Holding down dodge allows you to vanish quickly and reappear nearby. (Note: It’s that dodge where you turn into light and do a whole dash, which was shown in the trailers)
- Spell Knowledge II: A new Spell Set is added. Hold R2/RT and tap one of your directional keys/arrows to swap to an unlocked Spell Set.
- Wiggenweld Potency I: Wiggenweld heals you to a greater effect.
- Revelio Mastery: Increases the range of Revelio.
- Spell Knowledge III: A new Spell Set is added. Hold R2/RT and tap one of your directional keys/arrows to swap to an unlocked Spell Set.
- Basic Cast Airborne Absorption: Basic Cast impacts on airborne enemies contributes more to the Ancient Magic Meter.
- Protego Expertise: Blocking a spell with Perfect Protego will send two projectiles back at enemies.
- Evasion Absorption: Successfully evading an unblockable attack with Dodge contributes to the Ancient Magic Meter.
- Stupefy Mastery: Enemies struck with Stupefy remain stunned for a longer period of time.
- Wiggenweld Potency II: Wiggenweld heals you to a greater effect.
- Protego Mastery: Perfect Protego releases a damaging blast that breaks enemy shields.
- Stupefy Expertise: Stupefy deals direct damage on impact.
10 Available Talents
Spells are the most important aspect in Hogwarts Legacy, so making them stronger is going to be a priority for many builds.
- Incendio Mastery: Casting incendio unleashes a ring of flame around you.
- Accio Mastery: Enemies near a target summoned by Accio are also pulled to you.
- Levioso Mastery: Enemies near a target levitated by Levioso are also levitated.
- Diffindo Mastery: Diffindo casts slice through impacted enemies to strike additional targets.
- Depulso Mastery: Casting a Depulso releases an additional blast directly around you.
- Confringo Mastery: Confringo impacts produce fiery bolts that seek enemy targets.
- Glacius Mastery: Striking a enemy frozen by Glacius blasts damaging shards outward from the target.
- Descendo Mastery: A Descendo slam creates a damaging shockwave around your target.
- Bombarda Mastery: Bombarda causes an explosive blast with a massive area of effect.
- Transformation Mastery: Enemies struck with the transformation spell transform into explosive objects.
10 Available Talents
The Dark Arts spells available to the player are limited, but you can modify some of your “normal” spells to make them stronger (and darker).
- Stunning Curse: Stupefy has the same effect as a curse to enemies. Cursed enemies take increased damage.
- Blood Curse: Dealing damage to a cursed target inflicts damage to all cursed targets.
- Disarming Curse: Expelliarmus has the same effect as a curse to enemies. Cursed enemies take increased damage.
- Knockback Curse: Flipendo has the same effect as a curse to enemies. Cursed enemies take increased damage.
- Slowing Curse: Arresto Momentum has the same effect as a curse to enemies. Cursed enemies take increased damage.
- Enduring Curse: A cursed effect remains on an enemy for a longer period of time.
- Crucio Mastery: Striking an enemy cursed by Crucio releases a projectile that curses a enemy nearby.
- Imperio Mastery: An enemy under your control with Imperio curses other targets with each successful strike.
- Avada Kedavra Mastery: Killing an enemy with Avada Kedavra kills all cursed enemies.
- Curse Sapper: Defeating a cursed enemy restores some of your health.