Content Type: Gaming News
Date: December 11, 2020
It has been a rough launch for Cyberpunk 2077. While the game is being rightfully praised for its story, characters, and the beauty of Night City, myriad technical issues have plagued many players, especially those playing on last-gen consoles. Given that the studio essentially promised the game would run well on PS4 and XBox One, users of said consoles are understandably miffed about the game’s poor performance on their platforms of choice.
Fortunately, Hotfix 1.04 is already out for PC and Playstation, and is supposed to go live for XBox “as soon as possible”. Unfortunately, most of the fixes are related to quests not completing, and not to performance issues or graphical bugs. The patch did apparently eliminate the smudging effect that reflections were having on XBox One and PS4, but other than that and “improved stability”, there aren’t any other performance improvements in this patch.
One nice change was the modification of some braindance effects to reduce the risk of epileptic symptoms, which should be welcome news for anyone who has related medical issues.
Here are the patch notes for Cyberpunk 2077 Hotfix 1.04:
- Fixed an issue with completing the final objective in Gig: Freedom of the Press.
- Fixed an issue with starting conversation with Johnny at the end in Life During Wartime.
- Corrected a rare issue with NPCs no longer calling V if A Like Supreme quest was abandoned mid-way.
- Fixed an issue with Nix not going into his default state in Spellbound and KOLD MIRAGE.
- Fixed issues blocking progress in I Fought The Law if the quest area is left.
- Fixed inability to find Delamain in Epistrophy.
- Fixed issues related to remaining in the second phase of the quest after finishing Pacifica fight with Ozob if played after Finals.
- Fixed an issue with Nomads no longer present if V leaves the quest area mid-combat in With a Little Help from My Friends/Queen of the Highway.
- Adjusted mappings and re-enabled quest tracker in M’ap Tann Pèlen/I Walk the Line/Transmission.
- Fixed constraints on freedom to get up and sit down if neither blueline condition is met in Violence.
- Fixed issues with time and space resulting from leaving the quest area or abandoning the quest in Following the River.
- Fixed an issue with conversation with Johnny not starting after leaving the hotel in Tapeworm.
- Fixed an issue with quest being blocked upon leaving the quest area before climbing the hill in Following the River.
- Fixed the objective “Go into booth 9” not completing if the room’s entered too fast in Automatic Love.
- Fixed Jackie’s issues with sitting still in The Ripperdoc.
- Other quest fixes
- Fixed the preview in weapon crafting.
- Reduced vehicle appearance pop-in.
- Speeded up switching first person perspective to third person perspective in a vehicle.
- Fixed issues with animations missing from important quest NPCs during cinematics.
Performance & Stability
- Improved stability, including various crash fixes.
- Modified the flashing effect on braindances to reduce the risk of inducing epileptic symptoms. The effect has been smoothed out and the flashes reduced in frequency and magnitude.
- Removed copyrighted songs incorrectly present in the game with “Disable Copyrighted Music” feature toggled on.
- Switching language to default in the in-game settings now correctly sets it to the language of your Steam client.
- Improved reflections quality on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to eliminate the smudge effect.
- Fixed “The Wasteland” achievement being stuck on 97% after completing all relevant missions in The Badlands on Xbox.
- Fixed an issue with missing PT-BR VO for Xbox players in Americas.
While these changes are nice, and getting stuck on a quest is never fun, we’ll have to wait and see how soon CD Projekt Red roll out fixes to improve performance. It’s possible that the delays were due to them being unable to fix the performance problems; it’s possible that it will be a long wait, if they are indeed able to solve the underlying issues.
How is Cyberpunk 2077 running for you? Did the hotfix help? Let us know in the comments!