Content Type: Gaming Guides
In this guide, we will be exploring the Outpost monument. This guide contains the general strategy and meta for the monument, a map with shop locations and items, and other information so you can make the most of this monument.
For info on how to read the map and some more general information about the guide, please refer to the Map Key in the Main Guide.
Outpost, with it’s myriad shops and critical utilities, is the beating heart of Rust. Located in the middle of the map, Outpost is a giant, walled compound that almost every player will find critical to their adventures. Of all the safe zones, it is the best stocked, best defended, and most important. Players often trade with each other here, too, in case you are looking for something not sold at the shops.
Strategy and Meta
While any player will inevitably find their way to Outpost, the best thing to do is to make sure that visit it early, as you can use it to boost your progression. Naturally, you should use these early trips to buy more materials and other items you need, or use the safe-and-free utilities.
Being a safe zone, Outpost also works as an excellent place to rendezvous with your group, or prepare for a difficult adventure. Just make sure that you stow away your weapons when entering (you will be given a 5-second warning to do so), or else become the target of Outpost’s unstoppable firepower. You are allowed to keep rocks, torches, and paddles out, but if you attack anyone while inside of the settlement, it will become hostile to you for five minutes. There is nothing to gain by doing this.
There are a few small tricks one can use at Outpost, outside of its shops or utilities. For one, if you are low on scrap, using a paddle, rock, or touch to break the various road signs around the compound can get some wood and stone. Using the sewers can allow you to make a quick escape, should things go badly.
Shops and Callouts
The following callouts correspond to the numbers in the image above.
- Drone Shop
- Research Bench
- BBQ and Chairs
- Repair bench
Shops and Utilities at Outpost
Using Shops Effectively
Outpost contains many different shops, and there is a full breakdown above in the map. However, there are some useful things to note about the shops here:
- All shops run on a restock timer. If a vendor runs out of what you need, simply waiting a short amount of time will refresh their inventory.
- Buying Tactical Gloves at the Outpost Outfitters is a great way to gain cloth, as each pair can be recycled for 200 cloth.
- Buying Smoke Grenades at the Extra 1, similarly, can be an excellent source of gunpower, as each grenade can be recycled for 18 gunpowder and 25 metal.
As well as housing many shops, Outpost also grants you free access to the following utilities.
- Refinery – Cooks Crude OIl into Lowgrade.
- Recyclers – Converts items and materials into scrap quickly. There are 3 Recyclers at Outpost.
- Repair Bench – Repairs damaged items. Can also be used to equip skins.
- Research Bench -Research items, unlocking crafting blueprints for them.
- Barbeque – Cook raw meat into cooked meat (shocking). Can also heal with comfort.
- Chairs – Providing 100% comfort, can be used to quickly heal.
Overall, Outpost is a useful monument for starting your adventure and having a safe place to keep it well stocked. Check out our other Monument Guides for more information on the other monuments.